Search for more ....


Friday, November 20, 2009

A Young Pinay's Confessions

If my friend or acquaintance catches me, he or she will know my secret and perhaps think I'm a sham. So I put the mascara wand down coz’ I don't want them to think I'm superficial. Can I wear makeup and still be a pure feminist? a real Filipina at heart? 

Actually, it's amusing that I used to be so tense about being "girly." When I was a little girl, I experimented with lipstick or eye shadow. I thought it was a big deal to smudge pretty colors on my face. But as I get older, I learn that some girls and women refuse wearing makeup as a way to decline the pressure of looking a certain way. So it must be common for us girls to have mixed feelings about makeup. And I've gone through different stages in how I feel about it.

Can't Make Up My Mind
I am one of those Pinays who feel guilty about wanting to wear makeup. That's how I felt. I believe that Filipinas like me should be treated equally, no matter what they look like. So I kept my curiosity about makeup a secret, afraid to betray my beliefs about feminism. Well, there's a new secret I learned, and this is one I should tell everyone - I CAN wear makeup and be a real Filipina. I can still stand up for my rights and demand to be treated equally, no matter what I’m wearing on my face. Wearing makeup doesn't mean I’m weak or brainwashed - it just means that I’m experimenting with new ways to express myself.

I think it's fun, and I should feel free to enjoy it, just like how I enjoy other interests I have.
I am still beautiful without makeup, am I not? I look at pictures of myself when I was little? I didn’t wear makeup then, but people still liked me for reasons that had nothing to do with my looks. I believe that everyone has unique features - I can highlight my features with makeup if I want to, but makeup doesn't "make up" who I really am.

All Made Up and Nothing to Do
Sometimes I also feel like I have to look a certain way to be accepted. But then I can't play too hard, because I might mess up my makeup. I feel it's really dispensable to wear makeup all the time. I know I’m still a girl, and I have the rest of my life to wear makeup if I want to. If I wear makeup, it should be for fun - not because I’m scared that people won't accept what I look like without it.

Fresh and Relaxed
Sometimes I feel pressured to wear makeup but I’m really not interested, so I don't! I think it's good to keep my face free of chemicals. I know I don't have to wear makeup until I feel ready - or I don't ever have to wear it at all! I need to experiment with different ways to express myself. Yes, it's OK if I wear makeup, and it's OK if I don't. What really matters is what I keep here in my heart, not exactly what I wear on my face.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment